Just 4 clicks

Death to Twitiots!

It’s been a couple weeks now since i got my Twitter account. At first I didn’t know how people could stand all the useless crap you have to wade through to get some useful information. The problem I see it is the lowest form of Tweeter, I am talking about the infamous Twitiot. These are people that tweet a play by play of a sporting event, or post 17 pictures of their cat. These are people that ONLY post to sell stuff on accounts that are completely automated for the sole purpose of following as many people as possible in order to gain more followers. Is there any area of our lives that can remain free of advertising. Is there anyplace left where you can escape some marketing person from getting at you in order to get you to spend money you don’t have?

I have news for those of you who look at Twitter as some sort of gold rush! People are becoming more and more adept at spotting automated accounts that are created for the sole purpose of marketing. Even the ones that get through are instantly unfollowed after the first tweet. The incredibly bad downside is that bands, artists and other creative people who want to create a sense of community around what they do often get lumped in with these rabid marketing dogs.

A quick web search will show you that there are tons of people out there selling all manner of services software and gimmickry to get you to give them money in order to get an assload of followers on Twitter. There’s a service out there called Widgetbox that has a service to get you 1000 targeted followers for $999! What that really means is that they are offering you 1000 suckers! People who are going to buy what you’re selling whatever it is! I really don’t think this is why Twitter was created. Besides when you’re dealing with people who are smart enough to understand what Twitter is, even if they are suckers now, they won’t be for long!

As I type this a web radio DJ has been tweeting the name of every single song she’s playing as she plays it. No commentary, or why she’s playing it. I just responded to one of her posts, I’ll let you know if she responds. Am I missing the point or is all this advertising just the price you pay for anything that’s “free” these days?

If anyone has any idea on how Musicians can create a community around their music while at the same time identifying themselves as an artist with something to share rather than a steely eyed marketing entity please clue me in! I could use the help.


I’m ZedEssex on Twitter.

Comments

Post a Comment